Mukisa Mpewo Clay Works and Handcrafts, self-sponsored project started in 1993, is an association involved in the production of traditional clay products and baskets, which has been conceived and realized by women as a way to improve their social status.
Jane Nabyonga, chairman of the project, has made many study visits abroad, specially in Peru where she explored, for 4 years, the very rich native clay works tradition.
Objectives of the Mukisa Mpewo Clay Works project:
- to promote traditional art and design,
- to optimize the use of the products,
- To strengthen pottery and ceramics production in Uganda,
- To train women and youth and upgrade production skills,
- To create pottery as a sure income genera ting activity,
- to introduce and strengthen appropriate technology in order to reduce human energy and environmental degradation.
Owing to our objectives, even illeterate people can earn their living.
Most of the products you can find on this site have been made by women, young people and deaf and dumb people. Therefore you help them to live when you buy one of these items.
On behalf of Mukisa Mpewo Clay Works team, we sincerely thank all our clients as well as all the people who have helped us.